Friday, July 24, 2009

Love God


If you [really] love Me, you will keep (obey) My commands.
John 14:15 (Amplified Bible)


So often we read this verse and the first thing we think is..."If I keep His commandments then I will love Him." I think that if you approach God with all the rules first and foremost you have defeated yourself before you even start. It is this way with any relationship you have. For example...submitting to my husband. If all I focused on was submitting...then I miss out on how marriage is supposed to be. Instead, what I do...is I love him, I prefer him, and when I approach him in love first...then submitting is not a chore, but a delight. Love is so powerful. Love covers. When I love my husband...I only see the good..and I delight in him.

So, back to vs. 15. The way we should approach God is thus....I LOVE you, God. Then..the obeying the commandments are not a chore..but a delight! We want to please Him, we want to give to Him. Also, we now have the grace from Him to obey...and we want to obey because we love Him and have relationship with Him.

If your relationship with the Lord is dry, hard, and frustrating...you are seeing Him as a set of rules..not Father..not Lover..not Friend. In faith...bow your knee...purpose to love Him...and you will be surprised how wonderful a relationship with Him is!!


melanie

Photo via marcos_bh via stock.xchng

No comments:

Twitter