Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Children

Children have been on my heart a lot lately.  How does our society view kiddos??  When you go in a church?  Home? What happens when you have four kiddos and you tell everyone you are expecting again?  What is the consensus??

This is what I see... negativity.  Every stage of development is followed by whining, complaining, and an expectation of the worst.

What does Jesus think of Children??

Matthew 18:2
For an answer Jesus called over a child, whom he stood in the middle of the room, and said, "I'm telling you, once and for all, that unless you return to square one and start over like children, you're not even going to get a look at the kingdom, let alone get in. Whoever becomes simple and elemental again, like this child, will rank high in God's kingdom. What's more, when you receive the childlike on my account, it's the same as receiving me.


Matthew 19:13
[ To Enter God's Kingdom ] One day children were brought to Jesus in the hope that he would lay hands on them and pray over them. The disciples shooed them off. But Jesus intervened: "Let the children alone, don't prevent them from coming to me. God's kingdom is made up of people like these." After laying hands on them, he left.


Matthew 21:15
When the religious leaders saw the outrageous things he was doing, and heard all the children running and shouting through the Temple, "Hosanna to David's Son!" they were up in arms and took him to task. "Do you hear what these children are saying?" Jesus said, "Yes, I hear them. And haven't you read in God's Word, 'From the mouths of children and babies I'll furnish a place of praise'?"


Mark 10:13
The people brought children to Jesus, hoping he might touch them. The disciples shooed them off. But Jesus was irate and let them know it: "Don't push these children away. Don't ever get between them and me. These children are at the very center of life in the kingdom. Mark this: Unless you accept God's kingdom in the simplicity of a child, you'll never get in." Then, gathering the children up in his arms, he laid his hands of blessing on them.

More often I see the reaction of the disciples and less often do I see Jesus' response.  It isn't just Jesus...if you look throughout the Bible you will not find the sarcasm and disdain for children I see in our society coming from God.  In fact...I see the opposite.

Lord, show us how we can change this type of thinking and make children valuable and a blessing!!

melanie

1 comment:

Jen Price said...

I love how Jesus loved children in the Bible. Your comment about seeing children as Jesus more than as the disciples saw them really makes me think! Such depth in that statement!

Twitter