Monday, November 8, 2010


For our light, momentary affliction (this slight distress of the passing hour) is ever more and more abundantly preparing and producing and achieving for us an everlasting weight of glory [beyond all measure, excessively surpassing all comparisons and all calculations, a vast and transcendent glory and blessedness never to cease!]-
2 Corinthians 4:17


A "light", "momentary affliction" coming from a man like Paul is kinda funny to me.  Just read 2 Cor. 11....


24Five times I received from [the hands of] the Jews forty [lashes all] but one;
    25Three times I have been beaten with rods; once I was stoned. Three times I have been aboard a ship wrecked at sea; a [whole] night and a day I have spent [adrift] on the deep;
    26Many times on journeys, [exposed to] perils from rivers, perils from bandits, perils from [my own] nation, perils from the Gentiles, perils in the city, perils in the desert places, perils in the sea, perils from those posing as believers [but destitute of Christian knowledge and piety];
    27In toil and hardship, watching often [through sleepless nights], in hunger and thirst, frequently driven to fasting by want, in cold and exposure and lack of clothing.
    28And besides those things that are without, there is the daily [inescapable pressure] of my care and anxiety for all the churches!

So...how does a man get to the point that stoning is but a "light" affliction??  How do we come to the point that we can say the same??


melanie

1 comment:

duopastorale said...

It's hard. If we could see the eternal glory to which we are called then I'm sure we would agree wholeheartedly. Keeping my focus on Him is a real challenge for me.

Twitter