Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Book and Grapes

I love grapes. Especially red grapes. I cannot stand them if they are mushy or over-ripe. YUCK! I have to check the whole bag to make sure they are firm.

I have been reading a book by Diane Ackerman called, "The Zookeepers Wife". It is set in Warsaw, Poland during WW2. It is a true story of a Christian couple that during peace time kept up the local zoo and when the Germans take over Poland they helped the resistance and smuggle out many, many Jews.

So far, I have really enjoyed it in a sad kind of way. I find that I have to choke back tears. It amazes me how barbaric people can become and in their barbarism how entirely they believe that they are doing the right thing for mankind.

One thing that shakes me the most in this book is how people refused to believe in the total depravity and wickedness of man. The majority of the population in Poland refused to believe the Nazis' would do what they ended up doing, even though there were so many signs and warnings. It wasn't until all their freedoms were gone and they were being shot, killed, and starved that the reality sank in.

Well..back to my grapes and my book.....


melanie

3 comments:

Ann said...

I've thought about reading this - it sounds good (but like you said, in a sad sort of way). I may have to give it a try!

Jen Price said...

Yum! I love grapes, too! Nice firm, juicy ones!

Andi said...

I am going to get this book from the library. Maybe my Mother, who has cancer and does a lot of reading in her home time,would enjoy this. Grapes sound so good.

Twitter